Jamie Foxx is set to star in the latest "Spawn" from Todd McFarlane and Blumhouse Productions, sources confirm to Variety.
McFarlane, who created the original comic, is on board to write and direct the pic. He will also produce with Jason Blum.
The Spawn character first appeared in print in 1992, and gained popularity in the comics community almost instantly. In 1997, New Line adapted the character into a feature film starring Michael Jai White. HBO also took a crack at the antihero in an animated series that lasted for three seasons, each with six episodes, and earned two Emmy Awards.
In the comics, Spawn is a human-turned-Hellspawn who possesses superhuman strength and speed, and near immortality. Spawn also has the ability to teleport, shapeshift, and heal.
For Foxx, this will mark his second comic book film, having previously played Electro in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." He can be seen next in "Robin Hood: Origins" as Little John and has also recently directed and stars in "All-Star Weekend." He was most recently seen in Sony's "Baby Driver."
He is repped by CAA and LBI Entertainment. The Hash Tag had originally reported that Foxx had been offered the role and Deadline broke the news that Foxx signed on.
Other related articles...
- Movie Star , Ini Edo Looks Classy As She Steps Out In Style ( Photos )
- #BBNaija: BamBam & Teddy A star in Nollywood movie "The Gift"
- Chelsea star set to make movie debut as he lands big role in upcoming Spider-Man film
- Simi Takes Up First Nollywood Movie Role In Kunle Afolayan's Movie, Mokalik (Photos+Video)
- "A senior who called me an idiot on set begged me 12 years later to star in her movie"- Nollywood actress, Funke Etti
- Two young upcoming actresses call out Nollywood movie producer, Victor Okpala for allegedly demanding sex for movie roles
- I make N100k per P0rn movie - Nigerian P0rn Star, Savage Trap Queen