Former EPL referee speaks on Chelsea penalty miss against Man Utd in 0-0 draw

Former EPL referee speaks on Chelsea penalty miss against Man Utd in 0-0 draw

Former Premier League referee, Dermot Gallagher, has admitted Chelsea were wrongfully denied a penalty against Manchester United during their 0-0 draw on Saturday.

Gallagher feels VAR officials were under too much pressure to make a quick decision.

United was fortunate to avoid giving away a penalty in the first half, after Harry Maguire wrapped his arms around Cesar Azpilicueta, as Chelsea took a corner kick.

Referee Martin Atkinson continued to play, while a subsequent VAR check did not award a penalty to the Blues.

Gallagher, who officiated in the Premier League from 1992 to 2007, believes the VAR team of Stuart Atwell and Simon Long, cleared the incident too quickly because the ball was still in play while the decision was made.

"I think it's solely because the ball is in play and he cleared it too quickly," Gallagher told Premier League Productions.

"I think he looked at it, cleared it very quickly and didn't scrutinise it.

"I think when you look at it in-depth, as we have, there's no doubt whatsoever if Martin Atkinson is sent to the monitor I think he'd make a different decision."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...