Chelsea complete signing of Rennes goalkeeper Edouard Mendy

Chelsea have continued their summer spending spree by completing the signing of Rennes goalkeeper Edouard Mendy, who has put pen to paper on a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

The 28-year-old becomes the seventh new arrival at the west London club and will provide significant competition for Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Lampard lost faith in the Spain international last season and relied on veteran Willy Caballero during the latter stage of a disappointing campaign for Chelsea's record £72million signing.

Chelsea were linked with the likes of Atletico Madrid's Jan Oblak and Barcelona's Marc-Andre ter Stegen but turned their attentions to a cheaper alternative, in part down to a lack of interest in Arrizabalaga.

Senegal international Mendy has been capped eight times by his country since making his debut two years ago and joined Rennes last summer from Reims.

Speaking after the announcement, Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: 'As soon as Petr Cech and our technical team identified Edouard as the most suitable goalkeeper to complement our existing group, there was only one player we wanted to bring in.

'Edouard arrives following a season of real success with Rennes, he is ambitious for more, and we welcome him to our club.'

In a message to Chelsea fans, Mendy said: 'I am so excited to be joining Chelsea. It's a dream for me to be a part of this exciting squad and to work with Frank Lampard and all of his coaching staff.

'I look forward to meeting my team-mates and can't wait to get started.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...