Giroud finally breaks silence on Werner's arrival at Chelsea, sends message to Lampard

Giroud finally breaks silence on Werner's arrival at Chelsea, sends message to Lampard

Chelsea striker, Olivier Giroud, has said new team-mate Timo Werner does not have the same 'profile' as him.

This has made the Frenchman confident he can feature in Frank Lampard's first XI this season.

Werner joined Blues in June in a £53million move from RB Leipzig.

The 24-year-old signed a five-year deal with the Blues, following a season in which he scored 34 goals in 45 games.

Werner has already opened his Chelsea account, scoring four minutes into their friendly against Brighton.

He joins Giroud and Tammy Abraham as Lampard's centre-forward options, but the former Arsenal man believes the new signing will boost morale around the Cobham training ground.

Giroud told Telefoot: "I haven't spoken to Lampard. One thing is certain: the competition will pull us all to the top. A great club should have different options in each position.

"We want to be in the race for the title and I'm here. I finished the season well and I proved to the manager that he can count on me.

"Werner is not the same profile as me, I hope to have some playing time."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...