Kai Havertz: Chelsea continue summer spending spree as Germany ace signs with Frank Lampard eyeing more arrivals

Chelsea have signed Bayer Leverkusen starlet Kai Havertz in a deal worth up to £70million, the Premier League club have confirmed.

The Blues have already opened the cheque book to complete big-money deals for Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner and Ben Chilwell, while also adding Malang Sarr and Thiago Silva to their ranks on free transfers.

Kai Havertz: Chelsea continue summer spending spree as Germany ace signs with Frank Lampard eyeing more arrivals

It was revealed last week that a breakthrough in negotiations for Havertz had been made, with the midfielder putting pen-to-paper on a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

The 21-year-old will cost Chelsea roughly £62m up front, with add-ons possibly taking the total fee to around the £70m mark.

It was initially believed Havertz would become Chelsea's record signing, though successful negotiations resulted in the Blues lowering the total fee by almost £22m.

On becoming a Chelsea player, Havertz said: "I am very happy and proud to be here, For me it is a dream come true to play in a big club like Chelsea and I can't wait to meet all the players and the trainers. Yeah, I am very happy to be here!"

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: "Kai is one of the best players of his age in world football, so we are very happy that his future lies at Chelsea.

"He has proven pedigree in one of the best leagues in Europe, he plays for the German national side and he is an exciting, dynamic talent.

"We are delighted to be able to add his versatility and quality to the squad before the season begins."

Havertz, who scored 36 goals and contributed 25 assists in just 118 Bundesliga appearances despite his tender age, has long been lauded as one of Germany's brightest talents.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...