Thiago Silva: Chelsea confirm signing of Brazilian on free transfer

Chelsea have confirmed the signing of Thiago Silva on a free transfer.

The veteran centre-back, 35, has signed a one-year contract with the Premier League club holding an option to extend that for a further 12 months.

Silva left PSG as a free agent after the Champions League final defeat to Bayern Munich and has expressed his excitement about playing under Frank Lampard and in the Premier League.

Looking ahead to his new challenge, Silva said: "I am so happy to be joining Chelsea. I am delighted to be a part of Frank Lampard's exciting squad for next season and I'm here to challenge for honours. See you soon Chelsea fans, I look forward to playing at Stamford Bridge very soon."

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: "We are delighted to be able to add a player of Thiago Silva's proven world-class credentials to our squad.

"Having performed at the highest level for many years, we have no doubt his experience and quality will complement the many exciting talents we already have here.

"Thiago will be an excellent fit and we hope he can add some new trophies to his impressive list of honours."

Despite recent reports suggesting otherwise, it is understood Silva will not become Chelsea's new skipper for the 2020/21 campaign.

Silva has limited English and would struggle to communicate with his teammates and Lampard in his first months at Stamford Bridge.

Cesar Azpilicueta currently holds the armband and looks set to remain as skipper for the upcoming campaign.

The news bolsters Chelsea's options in defence, particularly after they announced the signing of French youth international Malang Sarr.

However, fans will have to wait to see centre-back Sarr in Chelsea colours with the club announcing he'll spend the 2020/21 campaign on loan.

As well as Sarr, they've also signed left-back Ben Chilwell and forwards Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner.

After securing a deal for SIlva, they will next turn their attention to bringing in Kai Havertz.

Chelsea are understood to be close to finalising a deal with Bayer Leverkusen for their £90million-rated midfielder, who has been compared with the likes of Zinedine Zidane and Michael Ballack.

Havertz's arrival would take Chelsea's summer spending beyond £220million - and Lampard is unlikely to stop there. The Chelsea boss also wants to bring in a new goalkeeper with Kepa Arrizabalaga's future in doubt.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...