Thiago Silva to Chelsea: Blues 'close' to signing Brazil defender as he bids farewell to former club Paris Saint-Germain

Thiago Silva to Chelsea: Blues 'close' to signing Brazil defender as he bids farewell to former club Paris Saint-Germain

Thiago Silva is 'close' to finalising a free transfer to Chelsea, talkSPORT understands.

The Brazilian defender made his final bow for Paris Saint-Germain in Sunday's Champions League final, which they lost 1-0 to Bayern Munich.

On Monday morning, Sports broadcaster, Jim White offered an update on Twitter regarding Silva's contract situation.

Jim wrote on Twitter: "Interesting news for @ChelseaFC fans this morning - top source tells me club 'close' to signing centre back Thiago Silva."

The 35-year-old confirmed after Sunday's showdown in Lisbon that it was to be his final appearance for PSG.

"This was my last match at PSG. I am sad," Silva told RMC Sport. "I apologise to the supporters. I want to thank all the fans for their love.

"I will come back to PSG... I want to play for three or four more years and be at the World Cup in Qatar."

In another interview with Sky Sport Italia when quizzed about links with Fiorentina, Silva replied: "Now I have to look for a new team. Fiorentina?

"Reports of an agreement are not true. My agent is talking to them and other clubs but nothing is signed yet.

"Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I will have to look at the offers and make the best decision for me and my family."

Frank Lampard is desperate for defensive reinforcements this summer, with Leicester's Ben Chilwell close to sealing a £50m move to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea conceded a whopping 54 goals in the Premier League last term, incredibly as many as 15th placed Brighton and 21 more than the champions Liverpool.

The Blues are also set to sign Bayer Leverkusen and Germany midfielder Kai Havertz in a deal worth up to £90m.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...