Champions League: Wenger names two favourite clubs to win trophy

Champions League: Wenger names two favourite clubs to win trophy

Former Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, has named Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain as his two favourites to win this year's Champions League.

The Champions League had to be put on hold in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic globally.

However, the remaining Champions League second-leg round of 16 games will resume on Friday, with Manchester City playing Real Madrid at Etihad and Juventus hosting Lyon in Turin.

Asked to predict this year's winner, Wenger told Europe 1: "When you are playing a match against Atalanta or Atletico Madrid, anything can happen.

"But for me, Manchester City and PSG are the two favourites in terms of their potential.

"Aside from that, honestly, PSG, I feel they are a little bit less strong than three or four years ago."

"In terms of their holistic setup, PSG were maybe a bit more complete 3 to 4 years ago, in all positions," Wenger added.

"The competition was stronger as well. But I think that there has been a general decline in the quality of European football at the very, very, very highest level and they are still amongst the two or three best in Europe.

"We should not be looking for false reasons why PSG haven't yet won the Champions League.

"Even Real Madrid did not win it sometimes during ten to fifteen years. Then they won it 3 times in a row."

Meanwhile, Liverpool won the Champions League last year after beating Tottenham Hotspur in the final.

The Premier League champions have already been knocked out of this year's competition after losing to Atletico Madrid.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...