World's strongest player Akinfenwa finally reveals big reason that made him not play for Nigeria

World's strongest player Akinfenwa finally reveals big reason that made him not play for Nigeria

English professional footballer Adebayo Akinfenwa has explained that he had interest in playing for the Super Eagles of Nigeria when he was young.

Adebayo Akinfenwa was born in North London and has a Nigerian father even though the 38-year-old has never visited the West African nation before in his life.

There are players like Alex Iwobi, Ola Aina and others who were born in England and decided to play for the three-time African champions.

On the other hand, Nigeria also failed to convince the likes of Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori to play for the Super Eagles.

Arsenal star Bukayo Saka is another youngster who has not decided his future on whether to play for the Super Eagles or the country of his birth which is England.

Akinfenwa who has been playing in the English lower division for years has now explained that he wanted to play for Nigeria, but it was difficult for him.

"I was 21 when I hooked up with John Fashanu, there was talk then, but Nigeria are always blessed with great strikers so it was harder for me.

"I know there was a campaign one time to try and get me out there, but they weren't really feeling me and that maybe they haven't got a kit that can fit me,'' he told ESPN.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...