Chelsea legend Terry reveals how ex-teammate grabbed him by the throat for buying a car

Chelsea legend Terry reveals how ex-teammate grabbed him by the throat for buying a car

John Terry has revealed how he learnt one of the biggest life lessons from former Chelsea captain Dennis Wise.

Terry recalls that Wise once grabbed him by the throat after he used his Champions League bonus to buy a car as a youngster player.

It was a bitter pill the former England captain had to swallow but Terry remains grateful for the gesture many years after.

The assistant manager at Aston Villa said Wise confronted him in front of the team after he showed off his new car and forced him to sell it and made him buy a house instead.

"He was club captain at the time.

"I remember I was in the first team and got a Champions League bonus and I went out and stupidly bought a car with the bonus I was on.

"I was 19 at the time. I come in with my car and Wisey got me up round the throat in the corridor in front of everyone: 'Who do you think you are? Go and take the car back.'

"So he made me go and take the car back, which I lost money on, took me around and helped me find a house, buy a house, so it was the best bit of advice.

"I was embarrassed at the time but it was the best bit of advice that I could have had.

"So I'm really grateful for all those little bits along the way, guiding the younger players, and he always not only had his eye on the first team but had an interest in the younger boys," he told The Footballers Guide to Football podcast.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...