Here is 1 big Lionel Messi's rule all Barcelona players must obey

Here is 1 big Lionel Messi's rule all Barcelona players must obey

Lionel Messi is arguably the most valuable player to ever wear a Barcelona shirt and the club's hierarchy recognizes that very well.

Not only is the 32-year old the club's all time goal scorer, but his mystical performances have also placed Barcelona right up there with arch rivals Real Madrid when it comes to the debate on which is the bigger club.

As it turns out, Messi is so valuable to the side that during training, players are forbidden to tackle the Argentine too hard.

This is according to Messi's former team mate Jean-Clair Todibo who is currently on loan at German side Schalke.

Todibo described the experience of training with the six-time Ballon D Or winner where he revealed the extent of caution the club takes to keep Messi fit.

"Messi was defended very carefully in training.

I learned a lot from him and I even tackled him a few times, but I was careful not to hurt him."

Todibo told German publication Bild. Quite predictably, Messi is Barcelona's top scorer for the 2019/2020 season , despite missing a handful of games at the start of the campaign through injury.

With the absence of striker Luis Suarez, Barcelona are practically relying on the Argentine for most of the team's goals.

Despite, being well past his prime, Barcelona coach Quique Setien, who replaced Ernesto Valverde earlier in the season, says it is impossible to rest him because of what he gives on the pitch.

With all the players, when I want something, I will try to convince them that it is the best for them. I try to convince, rather than impose.

They usually end up listening to me." Setien told Marca.

With the La Liga return only days away, Messi is battling for full fitness and took on solo training sessions for most of the week for fears of aggrevating a thigh injury.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...