Italy's legendary defender recalls how he told former Chelsea boss to sub him after his 15 minutes encounter with Messi

Italy's legendary defender recalls how he told former Chelsea boss to sub him after his 15 minutes encounter with Messi

Lionel Messi has dazzled many defenders in his illustrious career and Italy legend Alessandro Costacurta has shared his 15-minute experience with the Barcelona superstar.

The former AC Milan defender recalls when he could not cope when the Argentine star was 16-years-old.

Messi who was starting to break into Barcelona's first-team squad was too good for the veteran Italian defender to handle as Costacuta asked his coach Carlo Ancelotti to substitute him after 15 minutes.

He told Marca: "I faced Messi when he was only 16 years old. At first I saw him as a child and did what he wanted.

"After a quarter of an hour I had to ask Ancelotti to replace me."

Costacurta who won several league titles with the Rossoneri also made comparisons between legendary Diego Maradona and Messi, who he has both played against.

The Italian veteran claimed he witnessed Maradona's abilities first hand during his successful spell with Napoli.

And the 54-year-old believes Messi is a better player than Maradona and the Barcelona star is given more protection from referees.

Costacurta added: "They are similar because of their genius and the way they express themselves on the field, but Messi is more genius than Maradona.

"The difference is that we could do 66 fouls to Maradona before being warned. With Leo it is different, football is now something else."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...