Tears as top Italian league star dies tragically at age 19 amid coronavirus pandemic

Tears as top Italian league star dies tragically at age 19 amid coronavirus pandemic

Atalanta teenage sensation Andrea Rinaldi has been reported dead barely three days after suffering brain condition.

The 19-year-old midfielder joined the Serie A side on a loan deal from lower league outfit club Legnano.

He was said to have rushed to the hospital in Varese on Friday, May 8, after falling ill but he failed to make it out of there alive as reported by Goal.com.

Meanwhile, his parent club confirmed the news on their official website, expressing their sadness over the death of the talented player. They described Rinaldi as "a golden boy, exemplary in life and play".

The statement said: "AC Legnano, the city and the entire football universe, at all levels, today live one of their most upsetting days. "Andrea Rinaldi, our warrior, has left us.

A brain complication snatched him in the prime of life, with a life ahead of him and with a career that promised bright goals.

A sudden and shocking tragedy, impossible even to imagine."

The club's chief Giovanni Munafo added: "When Andrea came to training, he came first to greet me. This is a memory I will carry in my heart.

"An extraordinary boy, an example for everyone. On behalf of the club, I express my deepest condolences to the family.

"We are sure that Andrea, from up there, will be the usual warrior like always, who fought in the middle of the pitch to bring the Legnano fans joy."

The player who would have turned 20 on June 23 was said to have been training at home due to coronavirus lockdown before falling ill.

Rinaldi grew through the ranks having started at Atalanta academy since he joined them at the age of 13, and he helped the club's Under-17s win the Scudetto and Supercoppa Italiana titles.

A statement from the Serie A club said: "Just as on the pitch, you were always the last to surrender, this time too you fought with all your might not to fly away too soon - but that kind smile of yours will always remain alive in the hearts of those who had the good fortune to meet you."

Rinaldi was promoted to the senior team last season having impressed at their youth level previous seasons.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...