Top manager who guided teams to UEFA Cup and Serie A titles reveal why he rejected Super Eagles job

Top manager who guided teams to UEFA Cup and Serie A titles reveal why he rejected Super Eagles job

Right after late Amodu Shaibu was relieved of his duties as the manager of the Super Eagles, Sven-Goran Erikson was among the coached shortlisted for the role by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF). 

The 72-year-old Swedish has, in a recent chat, disclosed that he had to turn down the offer because there were discrepancies in the payment terms. 

He told branschen.se that officials who interviewed him claimed they wanted his services for the Nigerian national football team, but his salary would be paid in two different bank accounts.

"I've never applied for a job in my entire life," Erikson stated in an interview with branschen.se, also cited on Complete Sports. 

Erikson added: "The only time I can remember having undergone any form that resembles an interview was when I was asked about the job of Nigeria's national team coach in 2010 ahead of the World Cup in South Africa. 

"I went down in the belief that I would meet the chairman of the national team association (NFF) and that it was really only contract formalities that we would go through. 

But when I arrived, several coaches had received the same invitation, including Lars Lagerbäck. I was very surprised but found myself quite quickly. 

"I was called into the room with a chairman who declared that they wanted me as a coach, but with the provision that my salary would be divided into two parts: one that I got into my account and another that would be deposited into another account that was not in my name. 

There I refused on the standing. I thought something didn't go right."

Swedish coach Lars Lagerbäck eventually secured the job at that time.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...