Touching story of how father of African star sold possessions to buy his son boots, get him visa abroad

Touching story of how father of African star sold possessions to buy his son boots, get him visa abroad

Atletico Madrid defensive midfielder Thomas Partey has his father to thank for his booming career in the game of football despite coming from a humble background.

The £43million Arsenal target has been impressive since moving to Europe in 2012 to chase his football dreams.

SunSport is reporting that the 26-year-old's performances have now attracted English Premier League club Arsenal who are bent on luring him to the Emirates.

It was the father of the former Odometah FC of Ghana player that did everything within his might to raise funds for him to move abroad.

He was said to have sold his belongings to help raise money to buy boots for his son as well as get visa abroad.

Born in the poor town of Krobo Odumase in 1993, Partey was the eldest of eight siblings.

While he played for his local club Odometah FC, he was a standout in the team and had a chance to go to Europe through an agent, but there was one better player in the squad.

"He asked me who my father was and he went to speak to him to ask if he could take me to Spain for a trial, but never said which team," Partey told Marca.

"I went with the agent who did all my papers but I had nothing to do, I just trained, ate and slept until the day arrived when I had to travel, which I did not know when it would be or what time.

"He made a big effort and he sold things in order to get my papers and to buy me boots.

"He had helped me since I was small as without boots you could not play. He also helped a lot the team from my neighbourhood and I remember we brought food."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...