Nigerian star Ighalo names 1 Man United legend who called him after joining club in january

Nigerian star Ighalo names 1 Man United legend who called him after joining club in january

Nigerian football star Odion Ighalo realised his childhood dream earlier this year following his surprise move to Manchester United on a short term loan deal from Shanghai Shenhua. 

The 30-year-old became an instant hit for the Red Devils having scored four goals and one assist in eight appearances in all competitions. 

However, his superb performances at Old Trafford may have been marred by the spread of deadly coronavirus pandemic in the world. 

With his current deal at United set to expire in June, it is yet to be seen if the Premier League side would be willing to extend his stay at the club.

The retired Super Eagles superstar has now revealed that Man United legend Andy Cole reached out to him the morning he was to join the outfit as reported by Metro UK. 

"I have a lot of memories of him [Cole] he's one of the best goalscorers I've ever seen," Ighalo told the media. "He scored a lot of goals for Manchester United. 

The way he finished was brilliant. I have learned one or two things from watching [old clips]. "It's a privilege talking with Cole. 

Even when I signed for Manchester United he gave me a surprise call early in the morning to congratulate me and wishing me well even before I started training with the team. "I cherish that the most. 

it's one of those great things, an idol like that from Manchester United before I even started kicking a ball. I appreciated it so much." 

Ighalo's move to Old Trafford drew a lot of criticisms - many of them negative in nature, questioning the reason behind the choice of player they are signing. 

Many believed playing outside of Europe for the past three seasons might make it difficult for the Nigerian to adjust in a short period of time. 

But the 30-year-old has now lashed back at them saying those criticising him are the same set of people praising him after watching him do wonders on the pitch. 

Ighalo and his current manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are getting along real fine and this might earn the player a permanent deal at the club. 

Meanwhile, the Red Devils will have to part with a fee of around £15 million to allow their goal poacher leave before his deal expires in China. 

The 30-year-old, a United fan from childhood, recently revealed that Cole and strike partner Dwight Yorke were his heroes growing up. 

"I had a lot of football heroes,' Ighalo said. "When I started supporting Man United, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole were my heroes growing up - and some Nigerian players as well like Jay-Jay Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...