Liverpool star Mane building hospital in Senegal months after he opened school in village (see details)

Liverpool star Mane building hospital in Senegal months after he opened school in village (see details)

Liverpool star Sadio Mane has revealed he is building a hospital in his home country of Senegal which will open gates in six months time.

Mane has often evidenced his kind side away from the football pitch as he is involved in a number of philanthropic initiatives.

Recently, he made a donation of €45,000 to help in the fight of the coronavirus pandemic adding to his previous previous projects including building of a school in his remote village of Bambali.

But the Reds forward is not stopping just yet as he is currently helping address the healthcare crisis in his country by building a hospital.

Speaking in his upcoming documentary highlighted by The Guardian, the 27-year-old revealed the death of his father when he was aged just seven inspired him to undertake the project.

"Before he passed away, he had this kind of sickness for weeks. We brought him some traditional medicine and it kept him calm for three or four months.

The sickness came back but this time the medicine didn't work and because there was no hospital in Bambali they had to take him to the next village," Mané tells the Guardian.

The former Southampton star contends funding a health facility would give his people hope, who the 70% of them live under the poverty line according to the World Bank.

"I remember my sister was also born at home because there is no hospital in our village.

It was a really, really sad situation for everyone. I wanted to build one to give people hope," he added.

Mane's father was a Muslim religious leader and his family now gather every year to commemorate his death by reading the Quran.

His journey to stardom began at the Generation Foot academy in Dakar, Senegal, after he scored four goals during a trial match.

French side Metz went on to snap him up in 2011, but move to Austrian giants RB Salzburg 18 months later.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...