Sad day in football of team doctor of top European club takes his own life after contracting coronavirus

Sad day in football of team doctor of top European club takes his own life after contracting coronavirus

Bernard Gonzalez, club doctor of Ligue 1 side Reims took his life while self-isolating with his family, President Jean-Pierre Caillot announced.

The 60-year-old tested positive to the COVID-19 virus and was at home with his wife before taking his own life.

Reims have posted a poetic tribute to their team doctor after the tragic incident occurred calling him "a man of science and literature, with inexhaustible curiosity".

Mayor of Reims Arnaud Robinet called Gonzalez a "collateral victim of Covid-19" and suggested that the doctor left a note.

"Gonzalez was great professional, recognized and appreciated by all," Robinet said.

"My thoughts are with his parents, his wife and his family.

"He is a collateral victim of Covid-19, because it had been detected positive. I know he left a note to explain his gesture. But I ignore its content."

Club president Caillot expressed his shock on Reims' official website: "Words fail me, I am stunned, prostrate before this news.

"This pandemic affects Stade de Reims in the heart. This is a personality of Reims and a great professional of the sport who left us.

"His mission to the club of more than 20 years has been carried out with the utmost professionalism, in a passionate and even selfless manner."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...