Barcelona star to feeds 500 families in his country amid coronavirus crisis (this is what he gives them on daily basis)

Barcelona star to feeds 500 families in his country amid coronavirus crisis (this is what he gives them on daily basis)

Barcelona striker Luis Suarez is feeding 500 families in his country Uruguay amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Daily Star reports.

According to Suarez, it is the least he can do for his people after 304 coronavirus cases were reported in the country, with one confirmed death case.

It was gathered that thousands of children form the poorest families in Uruguay rely on free meals in their schools but with the government closing all schools in a bid to curb the spread of the virus, Suarez has stepped in to help those who struggle to feed.

The 33-year-old is paying for supplies, including basic food and cleaning products, to be delivered to around 500 families in the deprived area of Casavalle in northern Montevideo.

Suarez said: "It is the least I can do for the people who need it most."

The striker is currently in self-isolation in Spain and, despite the nation having the fourth highest number of Covid-19 cases in the world, following the US, Italy and china, Suarez claimed that he never contemplated returning home.

"It never crossed my mind to return to my country because the best way to care for Uruguayans is for me to stay at home.

"If I have to, I will help from a distance. I will do it proudly, if and when it is needed.

"I think about my children, about the precaution of being locked up at home to avoid people and to avoid contagion.

"The recommendation the government and the experts give is to stay at home - so that is what everyone has to do.

"The cases are growing every day; the health system is overwhelmed and that worries me. My message to Uruguay is that you have to stay at home so that the virus goes quickly.

"Strength to the Uruguayans, we will get through this together."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...