Coronavirus: Liverpool legend criticises Rio Ferdinand over comment on Premier League

Coronavirus: Liverpool legend criticises Rio Ferdinand over comment on Premier League

Liverpool legend, Steve Nicol, has criticised former Manchester United star, Rio Ferdinand, after the ex-England centre-back called for the 2019/2020 Premier League to be voided due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic across the globe.

We recall that Ferdinand had earlier this week claimed that Liverpool should miss out on winning the Premier League, as the world continues to battle with the coronavirus outbreak.

Ferdinand, said: "I think the Premier League should be void. Void it.

"I know there are going to be many of Liverpool fans going to say; 'oh, Rio, just because you used to play for Manchester United, but this is about life and death situations, about society in the broader grand scheme of things.

"I just don't see a way that can be done where health is not compromised."

Reacting to the development, Nicol says what Ferdinand said made no sense, adding that the remaining ten Premier League matches can be concluded in just three or four weeks instead of canceling the season.

"Why void the season? The way Ferdinand was talking, it was all about the safety of the players," Nicol told ESPN FC.

"Well, the players aren't training, they're not together, the teams aren't together.

"When they do start playing again and are together, then they'll be no risk to the players.

"There are ten games to go. Listen, if we were only ten games in, I would have absolutely no problem with voiding the season.

"But the fact that you've ten games left, top-class teams playing Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday - so three games in a week.

"It will take you between three and four weeks to play ten games. What is the problem with that?

"You're going to void a whole season for the sake of three to four weeks? That makes no sense to me whatsoever."

The Premier League is currently on suspension until April 30 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Liverpool are currently on top of the Premier League table with 25 points ahead of second-place Manchester City after 28 games.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...