Ex-Barcelona boss reveals the only player who can be compared to Lionel Messi

Ex-Barcelona boss reveals the only player who can be compared to Lionel Messi

Former Barcelona manager Luis Enrique believes no other player comes close to Lionel Messi when it comes to talent.

The Spanish national team boss was in charge of the Catalan club from 2014-17 where he led them to win three titles including the Champions League at the end of the 2014-15 season.

Although the former football star says Andres Iniesta is the only player who has a little semblance with the Argentine - he insisted that Messi is in the world of his own.

The 32-year-old has been on top of his game since he broke into limelight in 2004-05 season and has gone ahead to win six Ballon d'Or awards.

Enrique said in a question and answer session: "The player that impressed me most in my career, I don't know if you mean being myself as a player or as a coach or both, without a doubt is Leo Messi," "Afterwards, I can say that Andres Iniesta is close to something similar to Leo Messi.

"But Messi is hugely different in respect to the others."

Goal.com reports that the former Celta Vigo handler admits he could return to the Camp Nou and take over if given the opportunity.

It would be recalled that he parted ways with the Catalans in 2017 after the expiration of his contract.

"I think I can coach anywhere I've been [before]," he said.

"I've left the doors open at all of them. My time at Barcelona was marvellous and I'll always be grateful.

"I am very lucky to have been in a club for so many years that gave me everything."

The 49-year-old also touched on his plans for the Euro 2020 championship which has been postponed until 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic.

"We have to try to prepare for the Euros in the best way and recuperate a good line of action, being in the hunt to win trophies," he said.

"I see the national team capable of winning things - in fact that is one of the challenges that I think about as the head coach of Spain.

"I have never hid this, but it is obvious that we are within a process. And there are a group of other national teams with great potential.

"We are part of this group of six or seven national teams that can access the goals - our performance will say if we can get there or not."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...