Willian promises to play on for Chelsea even if coronavirus crisis means his contract expires before the Premier League season ends

Chelsea forward Willian has promised to be loyal to the club and keep playing even if his contract expires before the season ends.

The Blues could be without several key players if they fail to agree fresh terms and the 2019/20 campaign extends into July due to the coronavirus crisis.

Willian promises to play on for Chelsea even if coronavirus crisis means his contract expires before the Premier League season ends

English football has been further suspended until the end of April and the FA has agreed to extend the season 'indefinitely' in order to complete the fixture list.

That means players with contracts running until June 30 - such as Willian, Pedro, and Olivier Giroud - could become free agents before the season draws to a close.

Arsenal, Tottenham, and Barcelona are all ready to pounce if Willian becomes available on a free transfer this summer.

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has made it clear the club are desperate to keep the winger - but they are yet to table the three-year extension the 31-year-old wants.

Nonetheless, Willian insists he will stay loyal to Chelsea even if his contract comes to an end, in order to repay the club for seven positive years.

"My contract really ends I think in July," said Willian.

"If I had to play on those dates, in these months, I think it would be no problem for me to end the league in a way which would be loyal to the club, as they always were with me, regardless of a signed paper."

Asked whether he will stay at Chelsea beyond this summer, Willian told Brazilian TV station Esporte Interativo: "It's clear that this is not a certainty, we don't know what can happen.

"But without a doubt, as always, I will always be ready to give the best to my club regardless of my contract situation."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...