Sad day in football as another star walks out of pitch after being racially abused, ref forced to stop game (video, photos)

Sad day in football as another star walks out of pitch after being racially abused, ref forced to stop game (video, photos)

Porto forward, Moussa Marega, was left in fury as he walked off the pitch during a Primeira Liga game against Vitoria Guimarães on Sunday, February 16, after he was subjected to racists chant by the home side fans.

The encounter ended in 2-1 with Moussa striking the winning goal for the visitors in the 60th minute after breaking the parity from Bruno Duarte's equaliser.

The excited striker ran to a section of the field in jubilation after scoring the winner only to be racially abused by the fans of the home side.

The heart-wrenching scene was compounded by Vitoria Guimarães fans throwing objects and stadium seats at the striker before he was booed out.

The forward walked out of the pitch to the anger of his manager after a prolonged battle with his teammates who were persuading him to stay on the pitch.

All efforts to stop the 28-year-old striker from leaving proved abortive as the sad scene forced the referee to stop the game for three minutes.

Moussa was booked for his action and he was later substituted in the 63rd minute.

The forward later went on photo and video sharing app Instagram to explain his side of his story, though not without some words for the referee who he said failed to protect him.

"I also thank the referee for not defending me and for giving me a yellow card because I defend my skin colour," The 28-year-old said after the game.

"I hope I never find you on a football field again. You are a shame."

Moussa also thanked Porto fans for staying with him, vowing to always defend his colour.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...