Tragedy as top English club's manager dies after long battle with critical illness

Tragedy as top English club's manager dies after long battle with critical illness

Championship side Hull City have been plunged into mourning following the demise of academy coach Kris Blakeston.

Blakeston, a popular figure at Hull, mentored a number of youngster who grew through the ranks to represent the Tigers at the top level.

The tactician spent 12 years at the club, coaching nearly every age group in Hull's academy.

He was in charge of the outfit's Under-13s this season until his untimely death aged just 40 after a short battle with cancer.

Mirror UK reports Hull City had to postpone their East Riding Senior Cup clash against Hall Road Rangers in respect to Blakeston.

"Hull City were deeply shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of Academy Coach Kris Blakeston following a short battle with cancer," Hull said in a statement on Wednesday, February 5.

"Everyone at the Club would like to pass on their thoughts and heartfelt condolences to Kris' family and friends," the statement continued.

Meanwhile, his untimely death sparked outpouring tributes from both current and former Hull City youngsters he managed.

Youngster Keane Lewis-Potter mourned him as "a truly amazing coach" and "an even better guy," thanking the tactician for affording him a chance to shine.

"Cannot put into words how I am feeling right now. The man who brought me into this club and helped me progress massively to where I am today," he noted.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...