Transfer: Lampard welcomes Cavani to Chelsea

Transfer: Lampard welcomes Cavani to Chelsea

Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard has welcomed Paris Saint-Germain striker, Edinson Cavani to Stamford Bridge.

Lampard, who played against Cavani when the 32-year-old Uruguay was both at PSG and Napoli, believes he would provide some much-needed experience to Chelsea's young side.

We reported that Cavani has drawn interest from Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid in recent weeks.

Cavani has started just four games in Ligue 1 this season for PSG, having lost his place to Mauro Icardi who is on loan from Inter Milan.

His current contract with the Parisians is set to expire at the end of the season, when he will be available on a free transfer.

Asked if Chelsea were interested in Cavani, Lampard told reporters at his pre-match press conference as quoted by Metro UK: "He's a great player. I played against him and I always loved his mentality and his attitude and obviously his goalscoring record speaks for itself.

"I'm not absolutely aware of what the situation is, so we'll see."

Asked if Cavani would provide some much-needed experience to Chelsea's young side, Lampard added: "Yeah, he's an experienced player but so are many other players out there.

"We are young as a squad, and we know about the transitions, so the idea of bringing in experience is certainly not something I'm looking away from because sometimes the younger players need a bit of help and if that's the case then that may help us."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...