Anthony Joshua's first opponent in 2020 finally revealed (it's former champion who unified top boxing division)

Anthony Joshua's first opponent in 2020 finally revealed (it's former champion who unified top boxing division)

World heavyweight star, Anthony Joshua, has fired a stern warning to Oleksandr Usyk, suggesting that another heavyweight showdown with the Ukrainian star is a 2020 reality.

Joshua defeated Mexican champion Andy Ruiz in December 2019 in Saudi Arabia on unanimous points decision to reclaim his heavyweight belts.

The British fighter was immediately mandated to defend his WBO and IBF world titles against Usyk and Bulgarian star Kubrat Pulev within 180 days.

Relishing the challenge of a possible fight against WBO's mandatory challenger Usyk, the 30-year-old heavyweight champion believed he would defeat the Ukraine star.

Joshua also boasted he would be happy to add the former unified cruiseweight champion to his resume of boxing champions he has defeated.

"A very credible opponent. When I'm trying to build my record, I want opponents like Usyk to say that I've defeated them.

''He uses his feet very well, and positions his hands well. You can't hit him because his feet move so well. If you do manage to catch him, [the punches] are brushing off the gloves.

"Usyk is a great cruiserweight, the undisputed cruiserweight champion, who has decided to move up to heavyweight to mix it with the big boys.

"He's still exploring the division but he wants a piece of the big pie - he's more than welcome to try to take this out of my hands."

Joshua also described Usyk as a great boxer but admitted he will use an highly offensive strategy to tame him should they meet.

"What I'd do, as I have done already, is study him - from his footwork, his hand positioning, to his openings. Then I'd go to former people who have faced him and find out information on how to defeat him," the heavyweight star further submitted.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...