EPL: Lampard reveals how Chelsea can catch up with Liverpool

EPL: Lampard reveals how Chelsea can catch up with Liverpool

Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, has said they have to get their recruitment right, if they hope to close the gap with Liverpool in the future, Goal reports.

Lampard is targeting players like Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho, Bournemouth defender, Nathan Ake, RB Leipzig's Timo Wener and Crystal Palace's Wilfried Zaha.

The Blues are free to do business in the January window, after they successful appealed a transfer ban from FIFA.

Lampard admits his aim is to catch Liverpool, who are currently 20 points ahead of the Blues with a game in hand, but they need to move intelligently in the market.

"That has to be the aim," Lampard said of eventually catching up with Liverpool.

"The transfer ban was one thing. It gave the staff a chance to look at the players, see what we have got and look at the youth.

"That has been good and the more and more I see us play and the good and the bad, you change your feelings about how you want to go forward but the endgame will always be the same.

"Once we can start bringing players in and the young players start to hopefully mature and get better we want to bridge that gap to go up there. Whether we can do that next year, I don't know.

"That will depend on the work we do and whether it hits home but I will certainly not leave any stone unturned in how I try to work to get us there. But there are too many variables. We have to get recruitment right, that will be a huge deal.

"Not just who the individuals are that come in, but can they help influence the way we play and the way we want to play? I have got a clear idea of what that is, it didn't look like the first 30 minutes against Arsenal, but we've shown at times this year that we've got a chance."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...