EPL: Arteta singles out player he wants to build Arsenal team around

EPL: Arteta singles out player he wants to build Arsenal team around

Arsenal head coach, Mikel Arteta, has admitted he is looking to build his side around Mesut Ozil.

Arteta said he was not surprised by Ozil's energetic display against Chelsea, having been impressed by the German's "willing" performances in training.

The Spaniard has now said he wants to structure his team, to bring out the best from Ozil.

"That's what I'm hoping, that he can sustain that level every three or four days," Arteta told reporters ahead of a New Year's Day meeting with Manchester United.

"He's putting in everything he has to try to do that.

"His numbers, physically, have improved so much, and he's willing. That's what I can tell you from every day what I see in training.

"I'm not surprised. I know the ability, I know the player we have there. The structure has to help him for him to take everything that he has inside.

"On his own, he cannot do it. He needs the collective structure, organisation and his team-mates. There are only one or two players in the world who can do something on their own.

"He needs help and he needs the team to play in a certain way to facilitate his strengths more and more every time in the game. That's what we are trying to do."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...