Tragedy as Tottenham boss Mourinho loses important member of his family

Jose Mourinho Tottenham Hotspur boss has revealed he had a not so merry Christmas after losing his dog on the same day.

The Portuguese-born manager was giving a pre-match press before Tottenham's Boxing Day match against Brighton when he was asked if he had enjoyed Christmas so far.

But in his response, an emotional Mourinho disclosed he did not a fun-filled one following the death of his dog named Leya.

"To be honest, it was very sad because my dog died and my dog is my family. But we have to move on," he told Amazon's Jim Rosenthal.

Jose Mourinho and wife Matilde Faria in the company of their pet pooch Leya in London back in 2013. Photo: Palace Lee.

"So, very difficult, but we have to move on," he further submitted.

Mail Sport reports Leya, Yorkshire Terrier, is the same pooch that hit headlines 12 years ago when it was involved in a row between Mourinho and authorities.

At the time, the former Man United boss was arrested and warned in an argument over the dog's right to be in the UK.

Questions had been raised if it had the correct vaccinations, compelling an animal health official to put it in quarantine.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...