Frank Lampard speaks out on Chelsea's January transfer plans after ban is reduced

Frank Lampard speaks out on Chelsea's January transfer plans after ban is reduced

Frank Lampard insists his gut instinct will determine whether or not he makes any signings in the upcoming January transfer window.

The Chelsea manager will have the option to bolster his squad next month after CAS halved the two-window ban which prevented Lampard from making signings during the summer.

Despite being restricted in the market, Lampard has presided over an impressive start to the new campaign which sees Chelsea in fourth place in the Premier League and well positioned to qualify for the knockout phase of the Champions League.

Lampard's faith in a crop of emerging group of youngsters has already paid dividends with Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori all having been rewarded for their stellar performances with England recognition.

The Chelsea manager revealed he will hold talks with club director Marina Granovskaia ahead of any potential bids but is keen not to upset the balance he has established with his current squad.

'It depends on the player,' said Lampard when asked if he plans to spend. '

'We have to keep the balance of the squad and it has to feel right. It doesn't matter if it's January, July or not.

'One thing I felt that when you come into a club sometimes players you bring in is key to that.

'Going forward it is something that I will bring to the club. It won't just be myself. I have a very open discussion with Marina. It will be a challenge and hopefully we will get it right.

'The fact that people have given us credit, that has to go to the group. I want more and to be higher up the table. If there is a chance to strengthen it, then we will look at it.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...