Man United plotting surprise move for Italian midfielder

Man United plotting surprise move for Italian midfielder

Manchester United have reportedly concluded plans to make a £50 million bid for AS Roma midfielder Nicolo Zaniolo when the January transfer window opens.

The 20-year-old has been superb for his Italian League side this campaign scoring five goals 17 appearances across competitions.

And his performances have attracted top European managers halfway into the 2019-20 season with the Red Devils topping the chart of clubs that might eventually secure his signature.

Apart from United, Paris Saint Germain are also said to be interested in landing the midfielder to add depth to their squad.

SunSport quoting Italian publication Il Messaggero, report that interested club will have to cough out nothing less than £50m for the star.

Zaniolo joined Roma from Inter Milan reserved team in 2018 for a fee around €4.5 million and was immediately introduced to senior team football at the Stadio Olimpico.

He shone in his first season at the club after signing a five-year deal and also broke into the Italian national team at the same time.

The midfielder can play as a central playmaker or out wide scored his debut international goal in their 9-1 victory over Armenia in Euro 2020 qualifier.

He has also scored important goals for Roma against teams like Borussia Monchengladbach, AC Milan and Napoli this season.

Reports claim Man United scouts were on ground to watch the midfielder who was once linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

Meanwhile, United are hoping they could use their relationship with Serie A side to seal the deal ahead of other suitors.

But the Red Devils boss might hold off on spending big this winter - waiting for next summer before deciding on the player to sign.

When asked about interest from England, he added: "It would be easy to say 'yes why not' but it wouldn't be me!

"I tell you the truth, I recently kissed Roma's shirt and I want to kiss it anytime I score a goal!

"I'm very happy, Roma have given me so much confidence, now I'll repay it on the pitch. I'm proud to represent these fans, I feel very good here."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...