Tottenham appoint Jose Mourinho as new manager, replacing Mauricio Pochettino

Tottenham Hotspur have confirmed Jose Mourinho as their new manager, replacing Mauricio Pochettino.

The former Manchester United and Chelsea boss has signed a deal until the end of the 2022/23 season with Spurs and will be in charge for the Premier League clash with West Ham at the London Stadium on Saturday.

A club statement read: 'We are delighted to announce the appointment of Jose Mourinho as Head Coach on a contract that runs until the end of the 2022/23 season.

'Jose is one of the world's most accomplished managers having won 25 senior trophies. He is renowned for his tactical prowess and has managed FC Porto, Inter Milan, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United.

'He has won a domestic title in a record four different countries (Portugal, England, Italy and Spain) and is one of only three managers to have won the UEFA Champions League twice with two clubs, FC Porto in 2004 and Inter Milan in 2010. He is also a three-time Premier League Champion with Chelsea (2005, 2006, 2015).

Chairman Daniel Levy said: 'In Jose we have one of the most successful managers in football. He has a wealth of experience, can inspire teams and is a great tactician. He has won honours at every club he has coached. We believe he will bring energy and belief to the dressing room.'

Mourinho added: 'I am excited to be joining a Club with such a great heritage and such passionate supporters. The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me. Working with these players is what has attracted me.'

Mourinho, who still lives in London, has been out of management for just under a year since being sacked by Manchester United on 18 December 2018.

The 56-year-old spent two-and-a-half years in charge at Old Trafford, winning the EFL Cup and Europa League in that time.

In his first season in charge, the Red Devils finished sixth, picking up the two trophies, while United finished second in his final full campaign.

Spurs confirmed the departure of Pochettino on Tuesday night, with Levy saying: 'We were extremely reluctant to make this change and it is not a decision the Board has taken lightly, nor in haste,' a statement read.

'Regrettably domestic results at the end of last season and beginning of this season have been extremely disappointing.

'It falls to the Board to make the difficult decisions - this one made more so given the many memorable moments we have had with Mauricio and his coaching staff - but we do so in the Club's best interests.

'Mauricio and his coaching staff will always be part of our history. I have the utmost admiration for the manner in which he dealt with the difficult times away from a home ground whilst we built the new stadium and for the warmth and positivity he brought to us. I should like to thank him and his coaching staff for all they have contributed. They will always be welcome here.

'We have a talented squad. We need to re-energise and look to deliver a positive season for our supporters.'

Mourinho takes charge of Tottenham with the club 14th in the Premier League, with just three wins from their opening 12 games and without victory in their last five league matches.

Spurs are second in their Champions League group after back-to-back convincing wins over Red Star and are still in a great position to qualify for the knockout stages.

Pochettino's five full seasons in charge of Tottenham produced Premier League finishes of fifth, third, second, third and fourth.

The Argentinian reached the Champions League final last season and the EFL Cup final in 2015, but never lifted any silverware during his time with Tottenham.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...