EPL: Unai Emery under fire for naming Xhaka as new Arsenal captain

EPL: Unai Emery under fire for naming Xhaka as new Arsenal captain

Former Arsenal defender, Martin Keown, claims the club has "got it wrong" in handing their captain's armband to Granit Xhaka.

According to him, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is a more suitable option for the role.

Manager Unai Emery named Xhaka as his new skipper on Friday.

But Keown is not convinced the Switzerland midfielder is the best man for the job.

He told talkSPORT : "This is a massive call and I think perhaps he [Emery] has got it wrong.

"This is really going to divide the fans. There are times when Xhaka goes missing in midfield, he's given penalties away... he must be an incredible character off the pitch!

"It's surprising, particularly how he was booed off the pitch less than a week ago.

"It's a brave decision by the manager, he's picked him every time he's available so he clearly believes in the player, but I'm surprised, I must say.

"You need to be sure the captain is going to be in the team and he's on borrowed time. There are others in that group, Lucas Torreira, Matteo Guendouzi, Dani Ceballos, who are starting to progress, so if Xhaka is still going to be a permanent fixture than I'm surprised by that.

"I would have gone for Aubameyang, he would have been a pretty good fit. It might have given him a little more extra responsibility. He's doing fantastically well at the moment and he's secure in the team, he's a regular."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...