Liverpool scouting Villarreal star, and former Arsenal target, Samuel Chukwueze

Liverpool scouting Villarreal star, and former Arsenal target, Samuel Chukwueze

Liverpool are scouting Villarreal winger Samuel Chukwueze, a player who came close to joining Arsenal back in 2017.

The 20-year-old sensation has become a regular in the Villarreal side over the last year, also making his Nigeria debut in that time and becoming one of the most sought-after young talents in world football.

Chukwueze joined the Spanish side from Nigerian team Diamond Football Academy in 2017 and was already well known to scouts across Europe.

Goal.com report that Arsenal almost beat Villarreal to his signing at the time, while the likes of Porto, Sporting, PSG and Salzburg were all also interested in his services.

Now the winger has become a first team regular in Spain he is alerting even more interest and Liverpool have been scouting his progress at Estadio de la Cerámica.

However, Chukwueze is in no rush to make a move to one of Europe's bigger clubs, saying that he is just enjoying playing regular football in La Liga.

'I know I am going in the right direction,' the Nigerian told Goal. 'I am happy just to be playing football and to see where that takes me.

'I always try to see the bigger picture, and to stay patient. I am not one who wants everything immediately. I am happy to take smaller steps on the way to the bigger goals.

'I just love to play. I love training. From the moment I wake up, I want to be kicking a ball. It is a joy for me.'

The 20-year-old has been likened to former Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Chelsea winger Arjen Robben, a man who is an inspiration to the youngster.

'He's the king, to me,' continued Chukwueze. 'He's the perfect player. I watch so many YouTube clips of him, and there are so many things I can learn from watching him.

'On the way to games, even now, I will still stick on clips of Robben and watch his goals, his dribbling. He's my inspiration, one of the greatest.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...