UEFA Super Cup: Tammy Abraham breaks silence after crucial penalty miss

UEFA Super Cup: Tammy Abraham breaks silence after crucial penalty miss

Tammy Abraham has vowed to keep taking penalties for Chelsea, despite being targeted by vile racist abuse, after his miss against Liverpool, the UK Mirror reports.

The striker's saved effort handed the Super Cup to the Reds, leading to online trolls bombarding him with offensive tweets.

Anti-racism watchdog, Kick It Out, condemned the messages and said in a statement: "Such abuse is now increasingly predictable, but no less disgusting.

"We send our support to Tammy and reiterate our call for Twitter and other social media companies to clamp down on this level of abuse.

"This is a call to action - we want to know what they are going to do to tackle this insidious problem."

Abraham was upset to have missed the decisive spot-kick, but claimed it wouldn't stop him from stepping up again.

"I've scored a few. Unfortunately I missed one of the most important ones for Chelsea.

"They say the top players always miss penalties and it's about how you react. I've just got to keep pushing myself.

"I'm always someone who believes in myself in penalties. I had a few last season and a few important ones. Unfortunately this was probably one of my most important ones I missed.

"It's about how I react and just get my head up. The boys have made it feel like nothing has even happened. It's a great bunch of boys now we've just got to focus on the game against Leicester," he said.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...