UEFA Super Cup: What Lampard told Abraham after crucial penalty miss against Liverpool

UEFA Super Cup: What Lampard told Abraham after crucial penalty miss against Liverpool

Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard, has revealed what he told young striker, Tammy Abraham, after the Nigerian-born forward failed to score in the penalty shootouts during the UEFA Super Cup game against Liverpool on Wednesday.

It was a sad moment for the young striker as he missed the crucial penalty.

The 21-year-old's spot kick was saved by Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian, who denied him with his feet as Liverpool claimed the win.

But Lampard did not blame his young star after the defeat, revealing that he and the rest of the team would support the forward over his miss.

"I told him not to worry," said Lampard.

"The fact that he is confident enough to stand up and want to take a fifth penalty. I have been there, missed penalties. Anyone can.

"I want the confidence of a young player to stand up and want to do that. I said not to worry. He will come back stronger. It is part and parcel of being a player in the top level, which Tammy now is. These moments come.

"We have to be very supportive of him. His team-mates were, I certainly am. That is football."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...