UEFA Super Cup: Lampard praises one player, reveals why Chelsea couldn't beat Liverpool

UEFA Super Cup: Lampard praises one player, reveals why Chelsea couldn't beat Liverpool

Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard has singled out the club's new signing, Christian Pulisic for praise following their 1-1 full time draw with Liverpool in the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday.

Chelsea forced the game into extra time and penalties after the game ended 1-1 at regular time.

Liverpool had to come from behind in the game, with Olivier Giroud opening the scoring for the Blues in the first half, and Christian Pulisic having a goal ruled out for offside.

Sadio Mane then equalised for Liverpool shortly after the restart, with Mason Mount having a goal ruled out at the other end as the game went to extra time. The Reds went on to win the match 5-4 on penalties.

Lampard said all signs are pointing in the right direction for the USA forward.

Pulisic made his mark last night, setting up Olivier Giroud for Chelsea's first goal with a pass that split Liverpool's back line to leave the French forward alone.

"Yeah I was pleased and there is a lot more to come," the Blues boss told reporters of the U.S. national team star following the match.

"The expectancy is right, he is a big signing for us but you have to remember his age. He's 20 and come into the league, into this game, against Liverpool, one of the most intense teams in football.

"It took a bit of time early in the game to get his feeling. But once he did, you could see his confidence in carrying the ball and to create.

"I am really happy with him. There is lots, lots more to come. Again, [he's showing] all the good signs for what he can be for the club."

On why Chelsea could not win the game, Lampard said he felt a bit of bad luck may have been the downfall of his side on the night.

"For me I felt we were the stronger team," he said
"Maybe some bad luck and at times some bad finishing, we need to be more clinical."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...