Manchester City appoint David Silva as club captain for his final season at the Etihad

David Silva has been named as Manchester City's captain for the new season.

The 33-year-old is in his 10th and final season at the Etihad and has been given the honour of being named club captain.

Manchester City appoint David Silva as club captain for his final season at the Etihad

Silva, who has won four Premier League titles, two FA Cups and four League Cups during his time at City, featured in 33 league games last season as Pep Guardiola's side retained their crown as part of a domestic treble.

The midfielder has made a total 396 appearances since moving to City in 2010, but the 2019/20 campaign looks set to be his final for the club.

"No, this is the last one," he replied when asked earlier in the summer if he could stay beyond next season. "10 years for me is enough. It's the perfect time for me.

"Initially, City were talking about two years, but I decided to sign another one, so I finished at 10 years.

"It completes the cycle. It's a nice round figure. I can never see myself playing against City for another team. So 10 years - that's it."

Pep Guardiola revealed in his press conference ahead of their Premier League opener against West Ham that the Spaniard would take the armband.

He said: "David Silva will be our captain and Fernandinho and Kevin De Bruyne second.

"He knows the club, the league and has big respect."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...