Chelsea news: Frank Lampard asks Tammy Abraham to wear number nine shirt, but fans think it's 'cursed'

Tammy Abraham has revealed that new Chelsea manager Frank Lampard has asked him to wear the club's number nine shirt.

The striker appeared in the top during the Blues' pre-season friendly against Barcelona on Tuesday, and subsequently revealed that he'd told Lampard he was ready for the honour.

Chelsea news: Frank Lampard asks Tammy Abraham to wear number nine shirt, but fans think it's 'cursed'

Abraham scored the opener as his side ran out 2-1 winners against Barca in Japan, and told reporters: "I am honoured to wear the number nine shirt at Chelsea.

"I spoke to the manager and he asked me if I am ready to take the number nine. I said I am ready.

"I'm glad he offered it to me. I've heard all the rubbish about the number nine, but I'm here to play my game and do my best.

"Football brings a lot of pressure. It drives me on. It gives me the extra belief. It was my first goal in a Chelsea shirt and now that's out of the way it will be nice to push on and score some more."

Chelsea are left with a dearth of forward options for 2019/20 following the departures of Alvaro Morata and Gonzalo Higuain, as their transfer ban prevents new signings.

Olivier Giroud, Michy Batshuayi and Abraham will now lead the line at Stamford Bridge, with many fans concerned ahead of the new campaign.

The latest worry of supporters however, appears to be the 21-year-old's new number, given that it was previously worn by multiple failed Blues strikers going before him.

You can read a round-up of the reaction below.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...