Eden Hazard explains how he had 'no chance' against Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk

Eden Hazard explains how he had 'no chance' against Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk

Eden Hazard has left the Premier League this summer, swapping Chelsea for Real Madrid, and is glad he does not have to take on Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk anymore.

Hazard moved to the Sanitago Bernabeu for around £90m after winning the Europa League with the Blues, bringing to an end a seven-year career at Stamford Bridge.

The Belgian won the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League during his time with Chelsea, taking on many of the world's best defenders in the process.

However, when asked if he feared any opponent in his career, he insisted he didn't, but that Van Dijk stood out as a very tough man to battle on the pitch.

'No-one. No-one,' Hazard told Youtuber Jay Shetty. 'But to be fair, in the Premier League we have a lot of good defenders, especially this season Van Dijk was on fire.

'That's why he got PFA Player of the Year.

'He's really good. He's strong. I remember we played Liverpool away and I was striker, and I tried to jump against him but fell. No chance.'

That game Hazard is referencing ended 2-0 to Liverpool thanks to goals from Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah.

Van Dijk made 50 appearances for the Reds in his first full season with the club last campaign.

Such were his immense performances at the back, as Liverpool won the Champions League and came second in the Premier League, that he was Premier League Player of the Season, PFA Players' Player of the Year and was named in the UEFA Nations League Team of the Tournament for his performances for Netherlands.

After making 352 appearances for Chelsea, scoring 110 goals, 28-year-old Hazard is taking on a new challenge in the Spanish capital.

He is with his new Real Madrid team-mates on a tour of America where they will face Bayern Munich and Arsenal on Saturday and Wednesday respectively.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...