Mikel Obi reveals the ongoing AFCON will be his last, after he was forced to leave the tournament due to injury

The Super Eagles of Nigeria captain, Mikel Obi has revealed that the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations will be be a remarkable one for Nigeria and as well as his last for the country.

Mikel Obi reveals the ongoing AFCON will be his last, after he was forced to leave the tournament due to injury

According to Obi;

"It's been an amazing ride for me in the national team," he disclosed.

"Obviously winning the Nations Cup in South Africa was the high point, that's why I want to help this young team to hopefully achieve their dreams. Thirteen years I think is enough. I've won trophies, I've had a lot of amazing time.

"I think it's time for these young guys to carry on. I'm mostly here in Egypt to support the young guys and make sure they're on the right track. I think my presence is always important for them, hopefully, I can finish with the trophy."

The former Chelsea's midfielder has won a total of 89 caps for Nigeria.

"If I'm fit, I'd love to play in the quarterfinal, but no need to rush. Hopefully, if we can make it to the semi-finals I'll probably be ready then and help the team if I'm needed"

"Obviously winning the Nations Cup in South Africa was the high point, that's why I want to help this young team to hopefully achieve their dreams. If we are able to win it here, I'll be proud and they'll be proud, then they can carry on from here" he added.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...