Leicester City complete the £40m signing of Man United target Youri Tielemans from Monaco

Leicester City complete the £40m signing of Man United target Youri Tielemans from Monaco

Leicester City have completed the permanent signing of Youri Tielemans from Monaco on a four-year deal worth a club-record £40m fee.

The 22-year-old enjoyed a successful loan spell with the Foxes during the second half of last season, scoring three goals and providing four assists in 13 Premier League appearances.

Tielemans' performances resulted in speculation linking him to clubs in the top-six including Arsenal, Spurs and most strongly Manchester United who could be on the lookout for a Paul Pogba replacement.

However, Leicester have beaten competition from their Premier League rivals to sign the highly-rated Belgium international on a permanent basis.

The Belgium international has taken Brendan Rodgers' spending this summer to £78m following the £30m signing of Ayoze Perez from Newcastle United and the £8m deal to secure James Justin from Luton Town.

Speaking to Leicester's website, Tielemans said: 'It is such a great feeling to sign for this Football Club. Ever since I arrived on loan last season, all the players, the staff and the fans have been fantastic with me, so I'm thrilled to be able to become a Leicester City player.

'I believe that we have the talent in our squad to achieve something special and for any player, that's an exciting thing to be a part of. I really can't wait to get started again with this Club and do everything I can to help my team-mates.'

Rodgers added: 'I'm delighted that Youri has chosen to be part of Leicester City's journey. It's an incredibly exciting time for this Football Club and to be able to bring players of Youri's quality here is an indication of the hunger for success we have here.

'Youri fit brilliantly into the squad last season, he's already shown that he's capable of making an impact in the Premier League and he adds another option to an incredibly talented group of players here at Leicester City.'

Tielemans was reportedly on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's transfer shortlist this summer with the Norwegian keen to strengthen his central midfield options, however, he will now have to move on to other targets.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...