Mikel Obi speaks on leaving Middlesbrough, having options from other clubs after scoring first goal

Mikel Obi speaks on leaving Middlesbrough, having options from other clubs after scoring first goal

Middlesbrough midfielder, John Obi Mikel has disclosed that he will leave the club once his current deal expires at the end of the season.

The Super Eagles captain said that he will not extend his contract with the Championship side, adding that he has offers from other clubs.

The 32-year-old, who scored his first goal for the club on Sunday in Middlesbrough's 2-1 win over Rotherham United, said he wants to win trophies.

Asked if he would like to stay at Middlesbrough and if he has other options, the former Chelsea star told BBC Sport:

"I don't know, we'll see what happens. I have conversation with my people and then we'll see what comes out, options here and there.

"There's a lot of option but you always have to pick the right one, the one that is going to suit you and suit the way you play and what you want to achieve.

"I still want to win trophies, so I will go somewhere where you know, the players, the fans and the team want to win."

Mikel Obi added: "I don't know, you can never say never, that's why I said they. My contract ends, if there's a conversation, okay fine.

"It's a great club, it's a big club. They will find the right players, get that dressing room back and make sure next season they are in the playoffs or automatic promotion."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...