Virgil Van Dijk reveals player that could win next Ballon d'Or

Virgil Van Dijk reveals player that could win next Ballon d'Or

Liverpool defender, Virgil van Dijk has ruled himself out from winning this year's Ballon d' Or.

The 27-year-old stated that only players, who are basically out of this world and have been currently doing it for many years, deserve to win the world individual top-prize.

Barcelona captain, Lionel Messi and Juventus star, Cristiano Ronaldo have dominated the award for eleven years now.

The pair had won an incredible five awards each, with Ronaldo equalling Messi's tally last two years.

Van Dijk, who has been impressive for Jurgen Klopp's side since joining Liverpool from Southampton, won
the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year awards for 2018/2019 on Sunday.

The Dutch star also won the BBC Sport's Premier League Player of the Year award.

When asked about winning the Ballon d'Or at the end of the year yesterday, Van Dijk was quoted by Sportsmole as saying: "Nah, that's not something that's on my mind at all.

"There are currently players walking around in this football world that are out of this world basically and they've been doing it for many years.

"I'm very happy how I perform at the moment, how consistent I'm performing, that I'm fit as well. I think I just need to not look too far ahead.

"Right now we're in a tight title race, in the Champions League semi-finals against a fantastic team, where probably the best players are playing so we just take it game by game.

"For us now it's time to focus on Barcelona midweek and then we have a big game at Newcastle away as well so I won't look too far ahead and the only goals I will set are personal goals with Liverpool."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...