Ed Wood accepts making a mistake by signing Man United flop linked with summer exit

Ed Wood accepts making a mistake by signing Man United flop linked with summer exit

Manchester United chief Ed Woodward has reportedly admitted he erred by signing Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal.

According to Metro report citing The Sunday Times, the club's executive chairman is now in the know that his was wrong, even as he has refused to accept David De Gea's wage demands as he is afraid of committing the same mistake he has made with Sanchez.

The Spanish shot-stopper have just 12 months remaining on his present deal at the end of the campaign, but is seeking the same salary Sanchez in his new deal at Old Trafford.

Interestingly, the Chilean was close to making a switch to Manchester City in the summer of 2017, but made a surprise switch to the 'Theatre of Dreams' during the winter transfer window in January 2018.

At the last count, Sanchez is struggling for form at United, netting just five times in 42 matches.

And now United are ready to offload Sanchez at the end of the season, but at 30, it will be a herculean task to find a club to accommodate his high wages.

According to Metro.co.uk last week, the former Arsenal forward presently pockets a basic salary of £400,000 weekly, alongside a lucrative bonuses and a £75,000 appearance fee each time plays for the Red Devils.

On the other hand, club boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has sounded a note of warning to his players he will only accommodate serious-minded squad members going forward.

"As a club we cannot carry players. Everyone has to take ownership, keep improving, show that hunger that you want to get better individually and as a team," the Norwegian noted.

"I'm not just talking about Alexis individually. Everyone is under the same demands.

"But to go to Alexis, he's not been lucky with injuries.

"Since I came in, he's had two long-term injuries and that hasn't been beneficial to him, and some other players have had injuries as well.

"But I see the characters we have. I am looking at who we should keep, who we should move on.

"Alexis has got a fantastic talent when he's playing at his best level, of course we want him performing for us, " Solskjaer submitted.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...