Champions League: Van Dijk reveals plan to stop Messi in semi-final

Champions League: Van Dijk reveals plan to stop Messi in semi-final

Liverpool defender, Virgil van Dijk, has said that they would need to defend together as a unit against Lionel Messi, when they do battle with Barcelona for a place in the Champions League final.

The Reds secured their spot in the final four with a 6-1 aggregate victory over Porto on Wednesday night, after Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Van Dijk all scored.

Messi produced a mesmeric performance on Tuesday evening, inspiring Barcelona to a 4-0 aggregate win over Manchester United, with a first-half brace at the Nou Camp.

Asked how he plans to stop Messi following Liverpool's defeat of Porto, Van Dijk told Viasport Fotball: "I don't know, we'll see. It's going to be a great match-up for all of us.

"Obviously we're very happy to be in the semi-final again and that's the only thing I can say.

"It's about doing it all together, it's never 1 vs 1, it's never just me against a particular striker.

"It's always us against everyone and I think that's the only way we can defend well.

"And it's going to be very hard and I think he's the best player in the world but we'll see."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...