Manchester United set to confirm Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's permanent appointment

Manchester United's hierarchy are ready to make Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's appointment permanent and could make an announcement this week, according to reports.

The Norwegian took over as caretaker manager following Jose Mourinho's departure in December and immediately improved the results at Old Trafford.

Solskjaer has won 14 of his 19 games in charge and guided United to a remarkable comeback victory over Paris Saint-Germain to secure a quarter-final tie against Barcelona in the Champions League.

The 46-year-old has also been credited with getting the best out of several key players including Paul Pogba, Marcus Rashford and Luke Shaw.

When Solskjaer arrived at Old Trafford over three months ago, United's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was adamant that an announcement regarding the next permanent manager would not be made before the end of the season.

But the Daily Telegraph and The Sun are both reporting that United are on the brink of confirming Solskjaer's permanent appointment as manager.

Before the international break, United suffered a defeat to Arsenal in the Premier League before they were dumped out of the FA Cup by Wolves.

But this has not changed Woodward's opinion and Solskjaer's appointment will reportedly be officially announced before the end of the week.

Several United players have publicly supported the decision to permanently appoint Solskjaer as manager, and Nemanja Matic was the latest to offer his praise this week.

'I think he is a great manager,' said Matic.

'But you have to say also that with Mike [Phelan], Michael [Carrick] and Kieran [McKenna], they work very well together.

'They work as a team. It is not only Ole.

'There are people behind him who help us. I will be happy if he stays, and I hope he will.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...