Pep Guardiola names the only player who can hurt Man City in the Champions League

Pep Guardiola names the only player who can hurt Man City in the Champions League

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has admitted that Cristiano Ronaldo has the quality to hurt his side in the Champions League.

The Portuguese star scored all three goals that propelled his side to the quarterfinals of the competition despite suffering 2-0 defeat in the reverse fixture last month.

According to Standard UK, Guardiola, who guided his side to 7-0 win over Schalke 04 at the Etihad Stadium last night believes Juve are favourites to win the title.

Defending champions Real Madrid failed to cross the round of 16 hurdle after losing 4-1 to Ajax at the Santiago Bernabeu last week.

Guardiola said: "We (Barca) won two, but I lost seven," he said. "So I am not Real Madrid. Madrid is out, but there's still Juventus .

"These guys take Cristiano Ronaldo - they go there to win the Champions League with Juventus.

Meanwhile, the former Real Madrid star, while reacting to the feat he achieved on the night said that the hat-trick vs Atletico is 'why Juventus signed me'
Guardiola firther stated that only Ronaldo and Messi may be able to prevent Man City from going all the way this time around.

"He has all the pressure on his shoulders, he scores three versus Atletico Madrid and they go through. That is the type of guy you face to achieve the next stages.

"We are going to try. If it doesn't work, I am sorry but I assure you next season we are going to try. This competition is tough ."

Guardiola has spent close to £500m since taking over at the Etihad two and a half years ago, but has played down on his chances of winning the Champions League
They were a class apart from Schalke after winning the first leg 3-2, with Sergio Aguero scoring twice at the Etihad and Leroy Sane, Raheem Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Phil Foden and Gabriel Jesus completing the rout.

"When I said we are a teenage team, I didn't say we are not going to fight," he added.

"The best success in the club's history is a semi-final - compared to Real Madrid with 13 wins or Barcelona, Liverpool, Juventus, they have how many, six, seven, eight

"But the teenagers have patience, desire, they are not scary. We are trying to achieve for the second time in our history a semi-final of the Champions League .

"It is why when the people say you have to win, you have to win, when you are out in the quarter-finals it is a disaster, it is not fair.

"Today Real Madrid is out and Atletico is out and PSG is out and it is unfair, this competition, because it is incredibly tough.

"There are incredible teams, so when we are through the group stages, I am happy. It is so nice to be in the quarter-finals for the third time in our history ."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...