English-Nigerian Anthony boxer quits boxing after battle with serious eye injuries

English-Nigerian Anthony boxer quits boxing after battle with serious eye injuries

English-Nigerian professional boxer Anthony Ogogo has been forced to quit the game of boxing after failure to overcome serious battle against eye injuries.

The 30-year-old Olympic hero is said to have undergone a whopping 17 operations throughout his career before quitting boxing.

It was in October 2016 that Anthony Ogogo fought last in boxing and was stopped by Craig Cunningham in the eighth round when he suffered a broken eye socket.

And since then, Anthony Ogogo who won bronze medal at the 2012 Olympic has been battling to recuperate.

"Accepting the end gracefully is part of being a professional athlete. Calling an end to dreams that are left unfulfilled is the hardest part.

"Life is all about doing your best with the cards you have been dealt; that is what I have done time after time.

"Sadly after 7 operations on my eyes in 2 and a half years, I am forced to admit they are too damaged for me to safely return to the boxing ring.

"With a heavy heart I have to retire from professional boxing with my dreams unfulfilled,'' Ogogo explained on his official social media page.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...