Former Barcelona boss opens up on how Lionel Messi made life difficult for him

Former Barcelona boss opens up on how Lionel Messi made life difficult for him

Luis Enrique has termed his relationship between himself and Lionel Messi as a 'time of tension' during his spell at Barcelona.

The Spanish national team boss spent three years at the Camp Nou and won nine trophies, including two La Liga titles and one Champions League trophy.

And according to Spanish news media outlet, Football Espana, Enrique admitted that it was difficult getting along with the Barca star man.

In quotes made to Catalunya Radio, Enrique said:

"There was a time of tension between us, which needed to be managed.

"That was not something that I wanted or had pre-empted but we needed to manage it at the time, and now I cannot say anything not good about Messi."

Enrique, who is now on international duties with Spain left his former club three years ago.

However, the former Celta Vigo boss was quick to address any rumours suggesting his departure at the Camp Nou was unplanned, and stated it was one that had been in the pipeline for months.

He added: "My exit? I had already told the club to begin their search for the replacement at the start of that season (2016/17) because I knew I would not have any more energy for the role.

"It was a special group of players and for me it would have been the easy route for me to continue, to work with such quality players.

"It would have given me a lot of money, I would have the opportunity to win a lot of trophies, unparalleled in world football, but I did not go for this.

"Maybe the players needed a new face, a new vision and a new message."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...